Tuesday, May 15, 2018

No Country for Fake Country

Revered reader Don Harris gave me a talkin' to yesterday about Real Country (Waylon Jennings) vs fake Country (Taylor Swift). Which seems fair.

Look, I'm from the Northeast, New York State, about half an hour up the river (local colloquialism) from NYC. Which means there were three things one never saw: NASCAR, college football, and Country Music.

When I hear Waylon Jennings I'm thinking, 'The Dukes of Hazard guy, right?' I'm not being snarky. I really don't know. The Dukes of Hazard was about all the Country Music exposure one got.

Had one busted out a Country record at one of our middle or high school dances a riot would have broken out.

Now this began to change in the 90's with the cross over stuff, Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, and I bet Don Harris is going to want to scream when I say this next one....you knew this was coming...Billy Ray Cyrus.

[Great, that's going to be in my head all day now...Don't break my heart, my achy breaky heart...You bastard-Ed]

In the rest of the US, Rock & Roll found you, no? But in the Northeast, you had to go looking for Country Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment