Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Writer's Lament !@#$ all Military all-CAPS and ACRONYMs

So after a few months the reviews for The Austrian Painter are in. We are 13-0 with 12 five star reviews and one 4 star. Maybe we're pretty good at this kind of fiction, no?

In the meantime we're driving ourselves nuts researching details about Gulf War era militaries.

As CENTER* would say, Observe: 'Now should the FSO use the call-sign Bethel-9?' and 'Hmmmm, Six is usually the CO of an American unit while the British seem to be Nine. What about the Canadians? I know I saw a film where their CO was six but I swear I read in that manual that the CO, or GOC in their parlance (we think) should be Nine. After all, they are in the Commonwealth.'

Later someone will give the book a three star review saying something like, 'Plenty of action but lack of attention to detail is a drawback. Everyone knows that in 1990 American FSOs went by Bethel-11, I know I did.' Or, 'The author has British forces using the Mark V when Queen Caroline's Own Royal Dragoon Horse Borderers Northuppermen had matriculated to the Mark VI. Shame on the author!' and even, 'Author in dire need of editor as he does not know how to use matriculated.'

I thought writing women was hard.

[You mean riding women?-Ed]

No, that I got down.

[You wish-Ed]

And by the way you gals ain't as complex as you think.

Anyway...If the reader(s) think we're bitter, the reader(s) are goddamn right we are.


Yeah you knew that clip was coming. No, we are not like that, but maaaaaan do we get it.

*First person to get that reference and post in comments gets a copy of the book of their choice.

2 comments:

  1. Don't let it get to you us former military just like to Nick pic I have always enjoyed ur books please keep writing

    ReplyDelete