Thursday, November 10, 2016

I Hate to Say it....

....No I don't.

I. Told. You. So.

Rush Limbaugh taught me that ideas matter. You need two other things, circumstances and candidates.

The circumstances for Hillary! were awful. As noted again and again here, it is hard to replace the sitting president of your own party. The economy stinks. Our foreign policy stinks. Perhaps the most important factor, every serious candidate has a year. Hillary!'s was 2008 and she blew it.

Hillary! didn't have any ideas.

Mr. Trump [that's President-Elect Trump-ed] had ideas. Build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, make America great again. This was certainly his year. Was he a good candidate? He certainly was as the campaign went on.

Then I saw the rallies. The lines of people waiting to get in, the frenzied crowds. I had friends who never gave a damn about politics who loved Donald Trump. He tapped into something. I didn't feel what a lot of the Trump people felt. I'm not even sure if I like it, but I saw it and Trump did too.

The enthusiasm gap was massive. Nobody actually likes Hillary!

Then cam polls showing FL and OH locked up with MI and PA in contention. During the last week the battle was in blue territory not red.

The Bradley Effect was in full force, polls underestimated Mr. Trump's support by at least a few points. I never for one goddamn minute believed these polls that showed Hillary! winning in a rout. ABC-WAPO had her 12 points ahead, which was silly. The outliers, led by the LA Times, Rasmussen and IBD all which track everyday, picked up what I felt.

On Monday last week I said Mr. Trump was gong to win.

I was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment