Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Three Strikes and You're In

So Barry says he would have won a third term.

Sorry, my fellow conservatives, but he's right. The president is personally popular and in the the end your voting for the guy you want to see on TV every night. Hey, ladies think he's hot, right? Right.

This is nothing knew.

Our own Ronald Reagan said he would have won again. Not only would he have defeated that usher from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, he would have ground him into dust and sold him off as fiber supplement (thanks P..J. O'Rourke).

Clinton wanted a third term. Sorry once again guys, but he would have beaten W. I dunno, Algore couldn't destroy W. maybe I'm underestimating my man. But I don't think so. Younger reader(s) should appreciate that in 2000 the nation was fat, dumb and happy in a way that it never had been before. Once we got out of the 2000's the 90's made the 80's feel like the 70's (thanks Dennis Hopper).

Which brings me to one of my favorite ideas for political reform: Repeal the 22nd Amendment limiting the president to two terms. One of my colleagues, known colloquially in the Stroock household as the Crazy Australian Professor, asked why we limited the president to two terms, it really handicapped him. Of course, she was coming off a decade plus of Prime Minister John Howard.

But she is right. The 22nd Amendment makes the president a lame duck midway through his second term if not before. It puts all kinds of pressure on to get things done in the last two years, the dreaded legacy quest. And it results in a mad scramble for the president's successor almost as soon as the 2nd term begins.

So give me three terms, but give it to me later.

1 comment: