Monday, February 13, 2017

Metal Monday: Metallica at the Grammys Edition

No not last night Grammy Awards. I have no opinion whatsoever about Lady Gaga or Metallica playing with lady Gaga. I will say that I loved her Super Bowl performance.

I mean the 1989 Grammy Awards:

Of course Metallica had put out And Justice For All:


That album was a big deal at the time but is now largely forgotten, sandwiched between Master of Puppets (a heavy metal classic) and Black (an absolute masterpiece). When Jethro Tull won the Grammy we were ready to take to the streets.

Now what's interesting at the end of that MTV clip is Eddie Trunk, late of That Metal Show, begging for respect from the music industry. I wrote something similar a few years ago:
The only thing metalheads ever wanted from anyone else was space, a simple nod of respect, maybe for someone to say, ‘OK, your music isn’t my cup of tea, but I see where you’re coming from.’ We never got it.
We do now, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment