Sunday, June 9, 2019

Write This

At Writing about Writing, an interesting FAQ on writing. The proprieter answers the question, do you have to write everyday?

The answer is yes. You can take the weekend off if you want.

Don't make us go into our schpeel.

[You know you want to, -Ed]

Quite right. 

The morning we buried my grandfather I got up and wrote for a few hours. The morning we buried my mother I got up and wrote for a few hours.

[Feel better now? -Ed]

Yes, actually.

This is what I do. This is who I am. And if you're writing, or thinking about writing, but also thinking, 'I want to go play Red Dead Redemption 2,' or some such, then we suggest you go play Red Dead Redemption 2, becuase you ain't no writer.

Is the damn game called Dead Red Redemption? We really don't know, becuase we're TOO BUSY WRITING.

We find this kinda interesting:
Myth 4: Writing should be a horrible sacrificial burden somewhat akin to crawling across a field of glass shards into an ammonia pool. If you are not left broken and bleeding by it, you simply have not given it enough. The altar of writing demands your free time, your social life, your downtime, and even your very soul!

Reality: Writing should be fulfilling.
That's the word we've been looking for all these years. Let's imagine this as a game show:
I'll take feelings for a thousand, Alex.

Answer: The feeling one gets upon completing and publishing a novel.

What is: FULFILLING?

Correct. Writing is FULFILLING.
Yes, for us writing is FULFLING.

No comments:

Post a Comment