Friday, January 10, 2020

What's the Biggest Problem You Encounter with Your Name?

Saw that floating around Twitter.

Problem? Try problems.

First off, Stroock rhymes with book, not duke*. Pronounced kinda like Brian Johnson sings 'struck' Thunderstruck.

['You wish-Ed]

Stroock is not pronounced Strock, or, I swear I'm not making this up, St. Rock.

I do not know and am not related to this guy.

For reasons I will never understand, everyone leaves off the 'c'.

I go by William Stroock professionally becuase it's 7 letters on one side, and 7 letters on the other. Will Stroock usually gets pronounced Wilstruck. Back before college, when I went by my middle name, Thompson*, or Tom, Tom Stroock worked ok. 

Tom Stroock was also a distant cousin of mine, Thomas F. Stroock a Wyoming oil man, notorious as America's ambassador to Guatemala in the late 80's. He said something like, 'I'm sick and tired of all these Lesbian nuns coming down here and causing trouble.' When I cold called Tom 20 years ago and asked him to help get me a job in W's White House he didn't lift a finger. The Ambassador was part of Wyoming's GOP establishment. He could have called up Cheney and said, 'Dick I need a favor...'

Bastard.

Of course with my luck I would have ended up being special assistant to Scooter Libby. Instead the Stroocks of Northern Virginia moved to Peapack, New Jersey. Fourteen novels, three daughters and one mortgage later here we are.

*Accidently capitalized that. Stupid college sports.
**Right now youngest daughter has a pet stuffed croc named Chompson.

No comments:

Post a Comment