Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Millenial Problem

In 1997 I drove my then fiancée to a job interview and hung-out in the lobby and read a book. She was told specifically she didn't get the job because I was hanging out in the lobby.

I've never seen this at RVCC:


Pro-tip to millennials: You might want to leave your parents at home when you show up for a job interview.

Raritan Valley Community College serves Somerset and Hunterdon Counties. We don't get a lot of the big-horse money out of Hunterdon or a lot of the big professional money out of Somerset. There is a decidedly middling middle class feel to the student body. A lot of minority students too. Plenty of blacks and Latinos. Now that I'm actually thinking about it,  the m/f breakdown seems to be in favor of the girls. And they are girls. Don't give me any crap about calling them 'women'. Please. Plenty of vets coming through on the GI-Bill too. A smattering of Indians, which is inevitable given that RVCC is around the corner from Chindia. Almost no Asians. Wonder why?

Its a pretty good batch of kids and young people.

I suspect the over-protected Millenials is the result of class. That is, its practiced by rich, affluent parents determined to get their kids into the best, THE BEST, school. These people have no hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment