Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Rules Have Changed

So I was in the cafeteria today, and I noticed a group of four nerdy guys sitting around the table going over some electronic contrivance, it looked to this 41 year old like an updated version of electronic Stratego.

Sitting with them was this cute little blonde.

Any Gen X'r reading this will be flabbergasted. Why in the 80's computers and electronics of almost any kind where girl kryptonite. You didn't even let a girl know you knew what a computer was, much less admit you owned one.

So I took the matter to my class, I know how these kids are really into this disco thing and all.

I said, look guys, in the 80's everyone had a group and those groups did not intermingle. Jocks over here, nerds over there, metal heads that way, preps over by the steps, and so on.

My students, who are really 'down' with what's 'hep' and what not, said 'oh, no, no' kids of different sects intermingle all the time now. Lots of back and forth and go between. None of them were surprised in the slightest by my sighting a cute girl hanging out with a bunch of nerds who one could slip right onto the set of The Big Bang Theory without anybody noticing.

Who knew?

As I say to my class, the past is another country, they do things differently there.

Apparently, so is the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment