Thursday, July 9, 2015

Flagged... you know where this headed

I'm a flag flyer. I got the habit from a college roommate from the Jersey Shore who told me everyone down there flies flags. He had an Aussie flag and once for my birthday he bought me an Israeli flag. That was and still is one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever received. I still have it.

I haven't looked back.

I've been flying flags for 20 years now. I must have fifty of them. Let's see, Yankees, Yankees WS, Giants, Giants Superbowl, Union Jack (of course), Canadian, Aussie, Red Ensign, Bermuda...anything Commonwealth really. I have the old South African flag. C'mon, its sharp, its a flag with three flags! I've got some cool historical flags, including the Imperial German flag which I'm flying right now.

I've never used my flags to troll somebody or be deliberately provocative. Ok, ok, sometimes I'll do something like fly the Union Jack on the anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne or fly my Alamo flag on Cinco di Mayo. Really though, you have to know your history to get it.

Hell if I really wanted to start something in the neighborhood I'd fly a Pakistani flag.  My aforementioned roommate and I always thought it'd be fun to fly a swastika, just to see what would happen. Now I could  plausibly  do it, in this town anyway. Man that thing gives me the willies.

Though I have a considerable amount of southern blood in my vein I hold no brief for the CSA. I was born and raised in New York State and am a blue-belly through and through. I agree with Professor Victor Davis Hanson who called the CSA an 'apartheid society'. Honestly the old south deserved the destruction wrought by Sherman and Grant.

But I got to tell you these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment