Friday, July 17, 2015

Quest for Story

On a whim last night I watched Quest for Fire.

For those who haven't seen the movie, Quest for Fire is about three Micromanages looking for fire (they have not yet discovered how to make it themselves). Along the journey the Cromags evolve. They discover more advanced homo-sapiens in the process who teach them about animal husbandry, aerodynamic spears, humor, love, sex that is about more than lust and procreation.

I had seen the film 20 years ago. This viewing held up to my memory. It was well done, always stark and at times horrifying. The actors are believable Cromags.

I once tried to write  a prehistoric story. The idea was homo-sapiens were on the verge of defeating and annihilating what was left of the Neanderthals.

It was a false start though.

This happen sometimes. I'll start a story, even a novel, but the execution is not as good as the idea. Sometimes, after the original conception the idea has no place to go.

In this case I simply couldn't figure out how to write caveman dialogue. I just couldn't make the articulate, even if they were (who knows). But every time I tried to write dumbed-down dialogue, by homo-sapiens sounded like bad Hollywood, cigar store Indians. 'Me hit ape man with rock!'

I still want to do the story, though. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment