Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Getting away with it

A colleague of mine recently wrote about 'democratizing' the class room. Specifically he is now instructing students to simply refer to him by his first name. Let's call him Chuck.

Chuck fits the part. He's in his early thirties, has a scraggy beard, wears a stupid fedora, and generally dresses like an out of work barista. Understand, I am not judging Chuck's ability as a professor, because I have no idea one way or the other.  He is well liked and widely published in his field so this speaks well for.

I have never invited students to call me 'Will'. And I prefer a jacket and tie in class. I used to wear suits a lot, but after a time I felt like I was over doing it. So a professorial jacket and tie it is. On the first day I like to sweep into the classroom, unsmiling and stone-faced, like Darth Vader walking into the Rebel base on Hoth. I have it on good authority that this is quiet intimidating and inspires some students to lament,'Oh my god. What have I signed up for.'

Which is fine.

I need to set off on that foot because then I open my mouth and become the nice, friendly, stereotypical, jolly-faced American that I am.

Here's the thing, though. You can get away with a lot when you're wearing a coat and tie. People just naturally assume you know what you're talking about. Heck, I could start teaching about the ancient Gabanuii people and these kids would hang on every word I say. And they'd believe me.

I get side tracked. In the autumn we'll spend first ten minutes of the Monday class going over the NFL. I will stop what I'm doing and tell a dumb joke. I'll spend five minutes lamenting that I have three little girls. I'll complain about being a pathetic, middle-aged loser. Then we go back to the Romans.

I was wearing a jacket and tie. You can get away with a lot, like that, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment