Sunday, April 10, 2016

Awaken This!

So my family and I watched The Force Awakens this weekend. I'd already seen it once. I have to say I liked it more the second time around. A good sign. Remember, when I first saw the Phantom Menace I was enchanted. Its certainly the least-worst of the prequels. So on the Force Awakens, so far so good.

My folks were visiting and it was nice to see it with them. It's a family thing with the Stroocks, which is no doubt true of millions of other families. Part of the cannon of Stroock family lore is how this hyperactive blond haired 4 year old sat cross legged  on a movie theater seat for two hours, mouth agape, as Star Wars unfolded before him.

It was nice to see my three year old doing the same.

I had all the toys, even the ones you had to mail away for in 1977. Curtains, bed spreads...how many times was I a storm trooper for Halloween? I was only ten in 1983, so my wife does not have one of the Princess Leia get-ups. Now there's a thought...Ow! Ouch! Hey, stop hitting me!.....

Now, George Lucas majorly fouled up when he tried to make the prequels for a new generation. They don't really feel like the original three. J.J. Abrams rectified that. The Force Awakens feels like Star Wars, with a modern twist, of course, but aesthetically its father is Star Wars. Young people will like this movie, but the Force Awakens was made with Gen X in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment