Saturday, April 23, 2016

Plot and Character

So recently I read a review of the movie Clear and Present Danger, saying that it was 'all plot and no character'.

You have to be a woman to think something like that about CaPD. What, is Clark supposed to be agonizing of what kind of tea to brew? Maybe Escobedo should be in therapy, Soprano style?

Jesus Christ the guys in CaPD drip with character, lets take a look.

Ryan: middle-aged square thrust into circumstances for which he is not prepared.
Greer: career do-gooder. A man of talent and honor.
Cutter: cynical political fixer.
Ritter: amoral behind the scenes operator
Clark: Cynical, world weary spook.

Clark has no character? is this reviewer out of his mind. Character oozes out of his every poor.

'I don't suppose the boys on the hill have approved this,' he asked Ritter in a cafe in Bogota. 'I think your asking for a political mess.' And after a little more discussion, 'I want the money in my account before I make a move.' The most revealing bit is when he asked for the check. 'Senior! Laqeunta porfavor!'



The man has been in Colombia a long, long time.

I had this problem with To Defend the Earth. A female editor was saying the main character in Kim is Ill needs more development and I should be leading off with a long description of him. She wanted to know his inner wounded child, so to speak. With a sentence or two, I rendered the character in a way every man reading understood. He was a general standing in the middle of a communications cetner watching an invasion unfold. He doesn't have a wounded inner child.


No comments:

Post a Comment