Monday, July 18, 2016

Rock of Ages, Rock of Ages, Still Rollin, Rock and Rollin'

Apropos of the previous post, Armageddon It, last week Mrs. Stroock and I saw Def Leppard last week.

This is the 5th or 6th Def Leppard concert I've been to, all within the last ten years.

I've written before about my love of Def Leppard. I cover some of this in the article linked above.

My love began in march of 1988, when I saw the Poor Some Sugar on Me video for the first time. Now, I already knew about Def Leppard. My older sister got their Pyromania album in 1983. Being a boy I thought the cover was cool. Pyromania was huge, but the follow up, Hysteria was even more popular.

I always thought of them as a hard-rock rather than a metal band. The distinction doesn't really matter anymore, but for what its worth, here's their video for Rocket:

They talk about Queen, heck they talk about Elton John and a lot of 70's Brit glam rock.

Interesting.

In 1988 this meant nothing to me. Brit glam rock never really made it over here across the pond.

Now, one of Def Leppard's real musical achievements was cranking out a metal album in D. One was not supposed to be able to do that. Hysteria really takes advantage of Def Leppard's ability to harmonize, and I think that is really their best attribute. In short, those guys can sing. Here's the best example:

 That chorus is a wall of D, and its magnificent.

Now, back to Def Leppard's glam rock roots, here's Sweet from 1975:

There's D in your face.

Anyway, back to the show last week. Def Leppard played three songs off their new album. The rest of the playlist:

Armageddon it, Let's Get Rocked, Rock On, Rocket, Foolin, Let's Get Rocked, Bringin' on the Heart Break, Animal, Love Bites Poor Some Sugar on Me; and the encore was Photograph and Rock of Ages.

Good fun, good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment