Thursday, August 25, 2016

Be all that you can be!

My post about underrated generals and Mad Max Thurman put in mind of the army recruitment commercials of my youth.

But first, a taste of what came before.

Here's the army making the same basic pitch they had been for a century, three hots, a cot, a roof and clothing. $288 a month in 1973 was not bad. I know in 1968, my old man, working at NBC News was bringing home 87.50 a week. Yes, that's John Travolta.


This is the most 70's commercial possible. I guess the pitch is you can join and defer enrollment:


When Mad Max Thurman took over things, he totally changed the way the Army sold itself, and it fit perfectly the go-go-80's.

First Be all you can be:


This could almost be a McDonalds breakfast commercial. Action, adventure. Optimism.

Here's one making the same pitch but adding money for college:


And here's one talking about what the army can do for your professional career. Also, tanks:

Of course, these drove my 60's era parents batty. Goddamn hippies....

No comments:

Post a Comment