Sunday, August 28, 2016

Familiar Titles

Getting ready to turn the MS on Pershing into my agent, been busting my hump on the damn thing the last few weeks.

Anywho out of curiosity I checked out the bibliography of a new book about the AEF and the Meuse-Argonne offensive.

I found it very comforting. About half of the author's sources are the same one's I'm using.

There's the memoirs of course, Pershing's, Bullard's, Liggett's. He's got the same general histories I have, Stalling's Doughboys, Eisenhower's Yanks. Prominent are the great bio's of Pershing, Smythe's and of course Vandiver's, the later a 1200 page magnum opus cum love letter.

He like's Edward Lengel's To Conquer Hell, about Meuse-Argonne  and Coffman's The Regulars about the old army.

There's also the collected works of Arthur Ferrell, who has spent a career combing through the archives and coming out with gems like the diary of Pierpont Stackpole, Liggett's aide de camp, and William Wright, commander of the 89th Division.

Interestingly he's using the same batch of books I am about the French, Greenlagh's history of the polius and her book on Foch,.

There's Viereck's As They Saw Us. I wonder if he's got an original or a reprint like me. Ludendorff's notes on the AEF are interesting, even if the man is completely nuts.

He's even using the same government office CD ROM of the army's 17 volume compendium of orders and plans about the war.

Guess I'm on the write track, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment