Monday, August 15, 2016

Metal Monday, Metallica Edition

Last week saw the 25th anniversary of Metallica's Black Album.

Black was ground breaking. It was a melodic and harmonic Metallica album, and heavy to boot. This came several years after their Injustice For All album. This was thought to be a big deal at the time, so important that Metallica even made a music video for it, their first:

Continuing backwards now, And Justice for All followed up the Classic Master of Puppets. If one seas someone walking around in a Metallica T-shirt, chances are its Master of Puppets.

This is a classic album, full of anger and rage:

Fuck yeah.

For the initiated Master of Puppets is considered one of the best Metal albums of all time, right up with Black Sabbath, or Led Zeppelin IV, or Judas Priest British Steel.

Metallica fans wanted more Master of Puppets. What they got was Black.

Now, producer Bob Rock saw what Metallica was capable of and was determined to get the best out of them on Black.  This was and is an utterly unique album. The interesting trick is that it sounds like Metallica, but better, more refined and a bit different. It reminds me of how producer Mutt Lang got Hysteria out of Def Leppard.

I bought black in 1991 and I'll never forget this. On the second day of school my senior year, I was getting dressed and listening to Black. Track one is the famous Enter Sandman, that ended, then came THIS:

Fuck yeah. I'm your hate.

I've carried it with me for the last 25 years. In all honesty Sad But True is more of a throw back to the Master of Puppet Days.

Now, there is thinking among hardcore Metallica and Metal fans that Black is a betrayal. What did they want, Master of Puppets II? Of course they did. Well you can't do it. Artist must grow and if they don't they aren't very interesting are they.

Here's when I came to understand just how good Black is. In 2003 I was getting my professional life together and coming back to my Metal roots. I purchased Black on VD for the first time and listened while writing (something I don't do anymore). Twelve years later it still sounded fresh and unique, twelve years after the fact people. Every track rocks, no filler whatsoever. Here's a hidden gem:


For my money that's Kirk Hemmet's best solo ever. Ever.

These Metalheads who think Black is an un-metal betrayal?

I see faith in your eyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment