Monday, August 8, 2016

Metal Monday

I suppose the first Heavy Metal album I ever 'bout was White Snake's Slide it In, March of 1988.

The summer before I bought Van Halen's 5150, but I never really thought of them as Heavy Metal. One of the weird things about me [one? ed] is I remember everything and I remember the details of those things. I got 5150 in June of '86 at the Caldor's in Peekskill off of Rt 206. I can still see it there. I bought 5150 because this was making the rounds on MTV:


I bought 5151 because it rocked.

I bought White Snake in March of '88 because it was Heavy Metal.

Now in 1988 I was 14 and the glam/hair stuff was all over MTV. This led me soon to heavier metal, which needs no listing here.

I was just coming out of one of the worst parts of my young life and heading toward a few months of what was going to be the best part of my young life, but she's a subject for another post.

For reasons we need not recount, I was miserable, disenchanted, alienated and pissed off. I claim nothing special in this. I was primed for metal. It was a natural channel for my anger and said, in two words, what I'd bee saying all year: Fuck You.

I've been saying it ever since.

There's an even better way to say how I felt then. Often its how I feel now. To quote Bill Dickinson, 'Lord give me the strength to hold my head up- and spit BACK in their face!'

I've been doing that ever since too.

No comments:

Post a Comment