Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Crisis What Crisis

Speaking as a middle-aged father of three I endorse this with every fiber of my being:

What’s the point of the midlife crisis? Not the actual experience, but the term. In the half-century since its coinage, “midlife crisis” has become a bloated catch-all thrown around reflexively to express our every unexamined bias, deep-seated fear and trite mockery regarding middle age. If we are going to understand our 40s in all their messy complication, we need to put the phrase behind us.
A 'midlife crisis' is not a thing. It does not exist. A 'midlife crisis' is a lot of Balding Boomer pants dropping. It's been happening since the 80's, when the Balding Boomers realized they were no longer hip and 'with it' and the kids were really into this disco thing and didn't want to hear yet another story about 'the 60's, man'.

Look, folks, I don't want to be 21 again.

I like being 43. I say this a year after getting a stent put in my heart and regular attacks of gout.

Youth is great, but after a while, being young gets kind of old.


No comments:

Post a Comment