Thursday, November 10, 2016

Dark Mornings

On a dark morning in 2012 I woke up. It s 4:30 and cold. I was proud if myself. After months of fretting about the election I managed to shut everything down the previous evening and ignore the returns. I watch Get Carter and then the big Bang Theory. Lights out at 10:30.

I staggered downstairs to the my laptop in the dinning room. I swear the floor was still so cold because the house hadn't managed to reheat itself after Sandy, we'd lost power for four days. The night before I set my computer to Drudge, I wanted him to tell me the result.

I tapped the keyboard and saw the Liberty Bell. Drudge's headline proclaimed 'Divided Nation'. I thought, 'God, its come down to PA and the results there are being contested.' A quick scroll down revealed the truth. I groaned and went back upstairs and consoled myself with our new baby Ella, born a week before Sandy.

This year I woke up at 3:30 AM, staggered downstairs to the living room couch where I keep my computer. I went right to Drudge and saw a pic of Hillary and thought 'ahhhh fuck'. Then I scrolled down and saw the cover of the New York Post. I went over to Breitbart for confirmation. It was like watching Phil Mckonkey's end zone deflection catch, Scott Norwood's 'wide right', Plaxico Burris catching that last second touchdown, or Eli Manning hitting Mario Manningham.

Giddy, I ran upstairs, past the 4 year old's room and into the bedroom. I scared my wife to death. She thought there was a fire.

Rejoice, rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment