Monday, November 7, 2016

(Not) Metal Monday

Working on Whatever Happened to Jake and Patricia Bloom, or whatever its called, I've thrown in a lot of early 90's music. Its a myth to say metal was dead and Nirvana killed it. Metal wasn't dead, but it sure was dying. By then me and my frat brothers listened to Peal Jam all the time. Alice and Chains and the Gin Blossoms were big. Just hearing the later takes me back to that ratty apartment that served as party HQ.

Anywho, Patricia is a big U2 fan and I have her listening to a lot of Achtung Baby. That album was the soundtrack to my first semester, Freshman year, '92. Ahhhh....

Interestingly, thinking of the album brings to mind a lot of purples and maroons, dark, a lot of dark late autumn sunsets, the soundtrack of Thanksgiving and Xmas break drives home. When I think of Achtung Baby I don't think of the music but the colors.

As far as the music, it combines U2's early 80's rock sound with early 90's dance pop. It sounds horrific but the result is astounding. There is nothing like Achtung Baby. Mysterious Ways was the big hit, and then One, and Wild Horses. So Cruel was always a big one for me. I always thought of the girl Patricia Wallace is based on. She knows who she is, I guess. Bono is a deep, emotional man with interesting things to say.

For me the album is unique to that time and will always accompany thoughts of it. Pleasant memories, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment