Monday, January 16, 2017

Monday (not) Metal Australian Edition

So naturally, given the focus of Operation Pacific Storm, we've been thinking a lot about Australia. This leads us to Australian music, and our favorite Australian band.

Being a god fearing, girl chasing, heterosexual American, for me that's always been AC/DC. I saw them once on this last tour and three times on the previous 08-09 tour, including the opener in Pottsville, PA.

Angus is not going to show up in Pacific Storm, and Brian Johnson is a limey, but I thought it'd be neat if Peter Garrett, lead singer of Midnight Oil and former MP in the Aussie Parliament, made a cameo or two. There's already a scene where a bunch of lefty cooks show up at the dock as troops are sailing off. Of course this happens in New Zealand, but whatev.

My introduction to Midnight oil came in 1988 when I was 14. For reasons we need not get into, I'm a little sentimental about the first half of that year. Anyhoo, here's the debut:

The song has a nice, driving bass line and I do like the overall arrangement. Peter Garrett is framed very nicely here. Of course, they're preening in the misery of others, but that's not my problem. I ain't no lefty.

Anyway, we;ll be working for a way to get Peter Garrett in here. In the meantime, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment