Saturday, January 21, 2017

Mornings After Past

For the first time in eight years your humble author woke up to a Republican Administration. What do  I think? Well, we'll take about that in another post. The era of Obama is over, the era of Trump has begun. This puts me in mind of what I thought the day of and after Obama's inauguration.

I spent most of it in my office, working on various projects. I wasn't writing any fiction at the time so this must have been a magazine article or two. Like the rest of the conservative movement I felt shell shocked and thought it was time for us to reconsider and revamp what we believed. Hillariously I was following David Frum's New Majority website. God its still there. Of course he turned out to be a massive jerk. A Bush speech writer who wanted the president to utter the words, 'Axis of Hate'.

Anyway I never believed that new era, emerging Democrat Majority crap. Obama won 53 percent of the vote, or one point less than Bush 41 won in 1988. These people were delusional. Given the absolute evisceration the Democrat Party has taken over the last 6 years....I thought in 2009 the GOP needed to lay low the conservative movement needed to rethink. Obama and the Dems would overreach, they always do when in power, just ask Bill and Hillary. Indeed the GOP won massive gains in the 2010 off year elections.

Now after the 2012 election I didn't think much. Frankly, Hurricane Sandy had just come through and we had a week old baby. In the aftermath of that electoral disaster I thought the GOP had to adapt its data operation and get serious about electronic turnout. It couldn't possibly match what Barry was doing. And it had to get back into the pop culture. The biggest take away I had, mentioned here before, was that no one cared about arcane policy proposals. That was just a nebulous thought back then. Mostly I was thinking, Rubio '16!

No comments:

Post a Comment