Thursday, January 19, 2017

Write This Process Up

So working on World War 1990: Operation Pacific Storm, we're 35,000 words in. We've got the the New Zealanders ashore at Cam Ranh Bay and now we've got Task Force Australia off of Haiphong. The question is what happens next?

For a while it was blank, a big black space in my head [that's still there-Ed]. Oh ha ha, Ed. Anyhoo, after a few hours of percolation the contours started taking shape. An Australian frigate leading a landing ship ashore. The ramp coming down and troops jumping off and establishing a perimeter. Then comes a platoon of Leopard Tanks.

[Really, more tanks? Why can't you stop writing about tanks?-Ed]

I like tanks, Ed.

[I challenge you to write a novel without tanks. Just one. -Ed]

Shut the fuck up, Ed.

[Yes, Ed]

Getting back on point, what's their target? The SAS is taking the docks to the north. Ahhhh, Google Earth shows an airport just south of the city, the Australians will have to take that.

Now what do the Vietnamese do....

And so we're into it now, the Battle of Haiphong. The more I do this, the more I find most of the important stuff happens when I am not writing. That is, when I'm helping my girls with their homework my brain is processing the problem. I used to tell my students, read all the essay questions first, then answer the easiest and save the toughest question for last. You may not be thinking about the essay, but your brain is.

Heck, a lot of times the question is a matter of realizing that if one rates that A happens, then B and C must necessarily follow.

So Ok, the Australians are making for the airport. The Vietnamese would no doubt think the airport important so they'll garrison it. Maybe even have tanks themselves.

[Oh fuck, another tank battle-Ed]

I said shut the fuck up.

[Sorry-Ed]

Call me 'sir', goddamn it.

Maybe the Vietnamese stop the Australians who now have to figure out another way into the air port....

Ahhhhha! There's a problem for the Aussies to solve and eventually, a plan for getting into the airport. That ought to take 2,500 words at least.....

And now the damn thing is just writing its self. In the Stroock household we call it the' juju' and we love it.

Better get on that one:

Lt. Baker swung his .50 caliber forward as his platoon of four Leopard tanks advanced toward the airport in a wedge formation. Already he was suspicious of the tall grass before him. Vietnamese RPG teams could be hiding within....



No comments:

Post a Comment