Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Type This

One of the scourges of being an indy author is the typo. We all deal with them. I don't think any one of us manage to get all of them out. It drives me nuts. Rest assured, sooner or later a reviewer will show up pointing out typos. I think some of the nitpicking is Yanks thinking British style like '1 Armoured Division' is a typo. No, that's how the Brits do it.

My own Israel Strikes is most notorious for typos. The wrong MS got uploaded. Now that's not an excuse, just what happened. If readers have ever noticed a single bold letter in the frotnis of my books that's just so we have an easy way to make sure the right MS is being uploaded.  On the kindle version of Israel Strikes the problem has been re-edited by the lovely and talented Stefanie Attia (PBUH and man does she need it). Ironically, despite typos, Israel Strikes is to this date my best seller.

I can handle someone saying I suck, but when I read a review that points out typos  I just want to crack open a vile of red food dye, smear it all over my face, roll around the floor in the fetal position and cry like an Atlanta Falcons fan.

So, I've got my youtube channel now, where among other things I go on about Pershing. I was going through the PDF of the Pershing in Command MS.  Now this MS has been edited to death first by me, then by my excellent agent and her talented assistant multiple times all last year, to the point that a concerned Mrs. Stroock had me committed for observation.

Note aspiring authors, this is how its supposed to work. If your editor doesn't make you want to down a fifth of [insert your drink here] every evening before dinner, then they editor is doing it wrong. It rolls both ways. My own editor, the previously mentioned vivacious and dedicated Stefanie Attia, was held in a sanitarium for several weeks until I visited (to drop of the latest MS) at which point her team of crack psycho-therapists exclaimed in shock, 'You mean there really is a Will?!'

Anyway, so I'm going through the Pershing in Command MS, you know, that one that the pros have gone over a zillion times. Found a couple of typos!


No comments:

Post a Comment