Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day Universal

One of the features of memorial day is the spate of hand-ringing articles about the nation's lack of shared sacrifice.

Hey, when I was a kid everyone's grandfather had been in the war. A few of our dads had been in Vietnam. I know two guy from my graduating class that went into the service.

Look, folks, we as a nation decided after the Vietnam War to do away with the draft. That leaves us with a military somewhat separated form the rest of the nation. It's an all volunteer, professional military and since the mid-1980's its been the best military we've ever had. In training, equipment, leadership, the army of Desert Storm would run circles around Patton's Third Army, or Pershing's AEF, or Sherman's Army of the Tennessee.

Of course there are highly trained militarizes that rely on the draft. We're thinking of the Israelis, where everyone, serves, even cute 18 year old girls. Just Google it! of course Israel is a nation under siege.

The British managed to run 2/5ths of the world with an all-volunteer military.

After the Civil War, the United States conquered the west with a few thousand cavalry.

So large, conscript military establishments aren't always necessarily.

Going back to a conscript military has all kinds of social benefits a leveling effect if you will. But doing so would impact the military in some negative ways. For instance, you'd have a military loaded with lots of people who really don't want to be there.

So make your choice.

1 comment:

  1. Brings to mind a comment from a mother at the beginning of our war on terror, to the effect of "Johnny joined for the GI Bill, not to be in a war". I still shake my head at that...I was taught to shoot by my family and Army, and I knew when I went in there was a good chance at a war...20 years ago, smart money was on N. Korea...I was a butter bar..no GI Bill..but damn woman what do they think Lil' Johnny was being taught?

    ReplyDelete