Monday, December 25, 2017

Asleep in A Christmas Story

Like every other Gen-Xer I have my kids watching A Christmas Story right now.

Readers should feel free to quote their favorite lines in the comments.

Anyhoo, I was thinking last night...

[wow, look at you, thinking-Ed]

...thanks...anyhoo given that this movie takes place in 1939 isn't it a little weird that there is not one reference to current events whatsoever? This is obviously a movie about kids, but one would think that some reference to the war would creep in.

Was that a small point of the film? Author Gene Sheppard was born in 1921 and watched the rise of Hitler. In the back of his mind I wonder if he wasn't thinking, 'Look, America is all wrapped up in her Christmas celebration and all this kid cares about is his stupid BB gun.'

As Rick says in Casablanca, 'It's December in Casablanca what time is it in New York?...I beat their asleep in New York, I bet their asleep all over America.'


No comments:

Post a Comment