Friday, December 29, 2017

Balding Boomers say Goodnight

Via the WSJ we learn that Balding Boomers are going back to college:

Pat Collins has worked as a therapist for 30 years and is looking to reinvent herself. So she has gone back to the place where she invented herself the first time—college.
“I’m not sure what I want to do next,” said Mrs. Collins, 66 years old. “I’m able to retire financially. But I’m not ready to stop working.”
Mrs. Collins is a fellow at the University of Minnesota’s Advanced Careers initiative, one of many programs at schools catering to baby boomers looking for a second act.
Schools like Harvard University and Stanford University pioneered the idea. University of Notre Dame will start a new program next fall and many other schools have expressed interest.
The Balding Boomers already ruined college once, now they have to fuck it up for another generation. Can't these people just go away, already?

Actually, back during our professorial days we would get a smattering of actual grownups in class. The oldest I ever had was in his 50's. I would address him as 'Mr' or 'sir' which is probably the most important lesson those kids learned in that class.

The Journal accosts one poor young student who says,
 “The first time I walked into the class I was like, ‘Why are there a bunch of old people in here with us?’” said Madison Smiley, a 20-year-old junior, majoring in psychology. “I was afraid it was going to feel like taking a class with my mom.”
I bet you were.

How long till one of these geezers in a group discussion says to poor Madison, 'You know, back in the 60's...' Madison, take my advise. Nod patiently, like when Granpa farts at the table or something, and bury your head in your phone as quickly as possible. If Madison's geezer classmates are anything like my dad he'll bore the kids to death with talk of his 401K.




No comments:

Post a Comment