Sunday, August 5, 2018

Acid Washed Love

On Friday I mentioned my first girlfriend ripping my heart out and showing it too me while I were still alive. She might as well have Blood Eagled me Vikings style. That's what it felt like.

She and I started dating on 12 April, 1988.*

There followed the sweetest, most wholesome relationship a pair of 14 year old's ever had. Our first date was at the local pizza joint, eating pizza and playing video games like Xenophobe and Afterburner. My first kiss came after. I walked her to the door, looked down at my feet, looked up, and bam! She planted one on me. We were a pair of gawky, twitchy adolescents holding hands in the hallway, making out at school dances, talking on the phone as soon as we got home from school.   I'd ride my bike to her soccer games. I started a couple of fights with classmates who insulted her. We were in luv!

God we must have been gross.

Obviously it stuck with me all those years. A Line through the Desert takes place in 1988 for a reason, and there's a touch of her and me in the first part of the book.

A lot more followed through HS, but just becuase it happened doesn't make it interesting.

We reconnected on FB a decade ago and  hashed things out. She's a teacher an education consultant and even edited a few of our books.

*Don't ask me how and why I remember this stuff. I remember her birthday too, from back then, not just becuase FB reminds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment