Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Hang This

Interesting post on cliffhangers:
So I read yet another book by yet another author (a 1st book by a new writer, published by a traditional big 5 publisher) that ended without warning. As in, the book finished without solving any of the main plot points or character arcs. It was like, I turned the chapter, and bam! The End.Buy the next book please.
Legacy publishers have loved this sort of thing. This guarantee readers will buy the next book. And readers hate it.
I've been accused of doing this in a few Amazon reviews. I don't get it. Operation Arctic Storm centers on Operation Arctic Storm and ends with the completion of Operation Arctic Storm.

Operation Eastern Storm doesn't end With Operation Eastern Storm. Operation Eastern Storm is still going when Operation Eastern Storm concludes. However, a major plot point, the SAS raid in Poland, is completed.

I mean, The Empire Strikes Back kinda just ends, no one complains about that!

Another good point here:
But here is a shocking, heretical thought: Why don’t you write good books that readers want to read, ones they will wait to buy? Each reader has a few favourite authors whose books they will pre-order for any price. Why can’t we become those authors?
I don't disagree but hold on there. My two best books, I say without hesitation are A Line Through the Desert and A March Through Hell.  They're also my worst selling books.

Now go check out Israel Strikes (it needs no link). Its a good book, yes, but loaded with typos (they've been fixed) My best selling ever.

Good books don't necessarily sell. Popular ones do.

No comments:

Post a Comment