Wednesday, June 22, 2016

ID4 leads to ID2, or is it ID8

I have written before about the influence Independence Day had on me.

Independence Day came out 20 years ago this summer. It was Will Smith's big vehicle, and the grand launch (relaunch) of the summer disaster blockbuster. Director Roland Emerich has been using the same template for several movies now, Godzilla, Day After Tomorrow, 2012 (which was on last night), etc. These all suck, BTW. The template is old.

Independence Day also changed the way movies were marketed. I saw the first ad in January 1996 during the Superbowl. It was simply a montage of all the destructive money shots. I waited with baited breath for six months. The first trailer I saw in the theater, during the premier of Mission Impossible, gave me chills:

Pretty cool, huh? It was in 1996.

I admit, the initial trailers gave the impression that Independence Day was more serious, darker than it actually is; closer to Spielberg's War of the Worlds (ughhh).

Look, its a summer blockbuster, I recall the esteemed Charles Krauthammer saying, 'It's shallow and its hoaky and its great.' All true. At many times it felt like a techno-thriller. Emerich seems to have made an attempt to emulate The Hunt for Red October. At times it certainly has that 'serious Washington' feel.

Here's an interesting review from Red Letter Media:

They're pretty harsh at some points. I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't care either.

This movie has massive payoff. Randy Quaid's redemption, the president leading the attack, the computer virus (we debated that in 1996, BTW) the final air battle, and on and on. This has always been one of my favorite scenes....oh hell, can't find it.

Like I said ID4 was a big influence on me. Let's tick off all the movies they pay homage to. Star Wars, War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still...anything else?

No comments:

Post a Comment