Monday, August 1, 2016

Review This

So you're a veteran. You served with the INSERT UNIT HERE, that is prominently featured in Operation Arctic Storm or Operation Eastern Storm. You know your MOS in and out and still go back to the old base every once in a while.

Turns out the author made reference to Red-Hawk-Nine when everyone who was there knows that Red-Hawk's call sign was Nine-Nine. Or maybe you can prove that in 1989 the Soviets upgraded their T-80 tanks to include a double launch smoke canister. Or you have direct knowledge that a standard NATO .50 caliber MG could not penetrate a BMP's flank armor at three hundred yards.

Well bully for you.

I really don't care.

These kind of reviews annoy me the most. More than the reviewers who took the time to point out typos, more than the reviewers who just tell me that I suck. Fine I suck.

Now, I'm not talking legit mistakes. Hey, I've made a few, to quote Mr. Mercury. Brit reviewers helpfully pointed out that I made reference to an ensign aboard HMS Tenacious. Of course the Royal Navy has no such rank. Here's another doozie. I place the great Royal Navy base of Faslane on the North Sea when everyone knows its on the Irish Sea. Which once I found out made more sense to me.

Of course one must know what one doesn't know, as Donald Rumsfeld said.

95% of the things I write are true. Another 4% are truthy. Really, you're making a big deal about the 1% that's provably wrong?

Here's what I don't get about the latest Arctic Storm review.  They reviewer says I messed up big time but still gave me three stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment