Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Rising Trump

So Mr. Trump is up up and away. Even the Reuters poll, which they admit the massively re-skewed against him, show a tie. Basically, Mr. Trump has closed a 12 point gap in a week.

The estimable blogger and author and wonderfully named Vox Day was laughing at polls last month that showed Mr. Trump down big. Then he laughed  at the notion that the election cake was baked already. I read skeptically, but after watching Mr. Trump vanquish Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, I wondered if Mr. Day wasn't right.

I think he was.

Mr. Trump reminds me of something I see in sports sometimes, specifically the NFL. That is a team that keeps winning and you can't figure out why. The first team that comes to mind is the 2001 Patriots. 11-5 and solid, they just kept winning game after game. They weren't a juggernaut, they weren't blowing teams out. They just won. The 2012 Ravens did the same thing. They just won.

I think that's what Mr. Trump is doing. He's just winning and its hard to figure out why. The left must be in full freak out mode right now. I know I would be. How can they be losing to this guy? I know I wondered how Rubio could be losing to him.

Mr. Trump's surge also reminds me of something else. In 2008 going into September John McCain was leading by about three points. That lead evaporated in a week, just like we've seen with Hillary!. The culprit was the financial meltdown. From that moment on McCain could not win. I wonder if Hillary's! meltdown isn't something similar.

It doesn't really matter. Nothing succeeds like success. Mr. Trump is certainly succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment