Tuesday, August 2, 2016

World War 1990, how come....?

....I never wrote about the beginning of the war.

Now I should say, a good part of the first few chapters of Arctic Storm do deal with what happened in the opening stages in the war. But really, I never wanted to write about it.

This comes up, periodically.

A recent reviewer wanted to know where the opening volume was (its Arctic Storm, man). Occasionally someone writes a review and concludes by hoping I'll write about the Warsaw Pact invasion.

I dunno.

Tom Clancy already did this, you know. So did General Hackett, Ralph Peters, heck, even Ian Slater. Go look that last one sometime....

I don't really feel I have much to add to the genre. I generally agree with everything Tom Clancy pointed out in Red Storm Rising. Alert readers will recall I even have the Soviet invasion stopped at the Battle of the Weser, Just like Clancy.

Of course, if I wrote about the first couple weeks of the war there wouldn't be a lot of suspense, would there?

One thing that does have some appeal is the idea of a series of short stories, To Defend the Earth style.

What are the West German police doing? How about a a sort of West German teen dystopian story? A young Soviet soldier experiencing western consumerism for the first time. How about the Chinese politburo monitoring events?

This thing is starting to come together in my head....

Oh, damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment