Monday, January 30, 2017

Rolling Castro's Folly

Well as Doc Holiday (the Val Kilmer version, mind you) would say, Castro's Folly is rolling. We've cracked the top 25 of our category in the US, Great Britain and Australia, where we are threatening to go to number one. We've blown past people like Harry Turtledove and Philip K Dick. We're 'only' in the top 100 in Canada, which still ain't bad mind you. I guess you just can't sell a book about blowing Castro to bits in a country that just made his son Justin Trudeau Prime Minister. I'm not kidding about that, by the way. His mom used to hang with Castro, and well, compare the pics. He never did look anything like Pierre

Anyway, the Castro's Folly surge is a relief. Because my previous release, To Survive the Earth, is a failure. After six months its got one review. One freaking review.

This was and is stunning. To Defend the Earth was my second book and it did well. I've recounted before my thrill at seeing the sales meter move up a couple of ticks everyday. After watching A line Through the Desert no sell at all, TDTE was glorious.

With To Survive the Earth, Its not so much that I was worried that I had lost my touch, or my fan base. I was terrified that the market was changing and people were moving away from Kindle.

Phew.

What does this mean for my alien invasion universe? Nothing good. At this point we might keep writing but only put out a Kindle/Nook version. That would cut the publishing costs in half. We might run a single ad in a friendly publication.

Castro's Folly success means there's no reason not to press on, and we are frankly wondering why we would ever stop writing this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment