Monday, February 20, 2017

Monday (not) Metal but Heavy.

Metal blew out around 1990. Then came Grunge which naturally drew a lot of Metal Heads like me. Just listen to those power chords and searing licks on Ten and Animal.

But Grunge burned out real fast too leaving young men like me in the lurch.

1995 was the last year MTV meant anything to me, maybe a bit in 1996, but clearly Music Television was loosing its allure.

1997 was the last year radio had any importance to me.

I was looking for something new. Fortunately, I found few things. I think Jazz is boring and indulgent, but man those Big Bands could rock.

Check this out, Duke Ellington, Tootie for Cootie.

Searing saxophones, hard hitting brass section and percussion that sounds like it was written for John Bonham.

I strayed into classical. Early on, I found this, still my favorite piece: Marche Slave by Tchaikovsky.

This could practically be a Metallica song. So hard hitting, so Russian.

I guess its personality right? My grandfather had a friend who was a communist in college and an Orthodox Jew in old age. Go hard in all tings, right?

Heavy Music.


No comments:

Post a Comment