Thursday, July 19, 2018

Forty-Fived

45 Today.

You know the opening scene in Lethal Weapon when Roger Murtaugh is sitting in the tub on his birthday, just tiredly staring into nothing. We now know exactly how he felt.

I was never a restless young man teeming with energy just waiting to start out in the world. Quite the contrary. My middle name is Thompson and for the first 18 years of my life I was called 'Tom'.

Tom was a timid young man whose world consisted of a dozen square miles and hated being away from home. I liked my comforts. My TV channels (2,4,5,7,9,11 + cable), my radio stations (92.3, 102.7), my local roads (Watch Hill, Washington, the Bronx River, The Taconic).

I grew up in the suburbs of New York, but the Town of Cortland was a lot more isolated than you'd think. This was northern Westchester just south of the Bear Mountain Bridge. Beyond that started New York State, as it were. I never really saw a chain restaurant till I went to Delaware. Growing up the nearest McDonalds was 20 minutes away. I dunno, maybe Sizzler.

My world was small and I liked it that way.

When I graduated high school I decided to switch to Will and I've never looked back.

At the age of 19 I found college in Dover Delaware to be exotic and frightening. Yeah, Dover.

I'm more restless now and have no idea why. I enviously watch shows about men doing things in far off locales (Dangerous Waters). I try hard to find other TV shows to watch (Survivorman). This had led to choice addiction.

We've had a lot of death in the family the last 12 months and we may well have more. I myself have a lot of nagging health issues.

I guess I feel 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment