Sunday, June 7, 2015

Indie Econ 101 Vol I

Via Sarah Hoy, the estimable Chris Nuttall says things which are absolutely 100% percent true. I recognized every item he talked about, publishing costs, editing and editing costs, cover design and costs. Notice a theme? Costs, lots of costs?

I'd add advertising costs. He's suspicious of ad firms plugging one's book. I've had some success with those, but it was an ad deal, not a deal for a firm to plug my book. These were not publicity costs but an agreement to advertise my book in certain places at certain times. That campaign has been successful.

For a while I had driven my opening costs down, editing + publishing (including formatting and cover) but the costs have crept up because I have an editor I love working with. Said editor costs the same as one available via Createspace but works three times as hard on the MS. She's worth it.

My opening costs are about $2,000. With a good book I can make that up in a month to 6 weeks, 8 tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment