Wednesday, November 8, 2017

All Things Considered, What do you Think about the Election?

One has to have a heart of stone not to pity, mock, laugh at and otherwise enjoy the humiliation of politicos and pundits, chronicled here, who thought Hillary! was going to win in a landslide. They're acting like Mary Todd Lincoln coming out of Ford's Theater.

We especially enjoyed the bitter aftermath parts. Here are some of the really fun entries:

[Stroock's commentary]

Rebecca Traister: I was thinking everything from, “I’m gonna have to rewrite my piece” to, “Can we stay in the U.S.?” I texted my husband, “Tell Rosie to go to bed. I don’t want her to watch.” [Please Leave]
Reza Aslan: My wife stayed up and I went to sleep, then she woke me up around 1 or 2 in the morning bawling and told me that it was over. My poor, sweet wife. She wanted to hug and kiss me but I went into a panic attack and couldn't breathe. [We can't decide if we want to go with 'A man admitting he had a panic attack?' or 'Now you know how we felt on 9/11]
Van Jones: I had Muslim friends who came from countries like Somalia asking, "Should we leave the country tonight?" Because in their countries of origin, if a president that hostile takes power, they might start rounding up people in the morning. [No choice issues on this one, now you know how Christians in the Middle East feel. Also we think you should leave the country tonight.]
Ana Marie Cox: A Muslim colleague of mine called his mother. She was worried he was going to be the victim of violence at any moment. A colleague who is gay and married was on the phone with her wife saying, “They're not going to take this damn ring away from me.” [More Muslims fearing backlash ahead of tomorrows terror attack. Also, no one cares about your damn ring]
Shani O. Hilton: You get on the train from Brooklyn. It’s silent. And not in the normal way of people not talking to each other. It felt like an observable silence. I saw at least three people sitting by themselves, just weeping silently. [We really would have enjoyed some phone footage.]
Jorge Ramos: I've been to wars, I've covered the most difficult situations in Latin America. But I needed to digest and to understand what had happened. I came home very late. I turned on the news. I had comfort food—cookies and chocolate milk—the same thing I used to have as a kid in Mexico City. After that, I realized that I had been preparing all my life for this moment. Once I digested what had happened with Trump and had a plan, which was to resist and report and not be neutral, then I was able to go to bed. [We don't think Mexicans understand how this election thing work]
Ashley Nicole Black: I took a shower, and then as soon as water hit me, I started bawling. I didn't really have any feelings until that moment. [Oh yeah baby, you come out of that shower, daddy's here...] *
Good lord people, when we found out Barry was reelected in 2012 we said 'ugh' went upstairs and got back in bed with our wife and week old daughter. What the fuck is wrong with you? It's an election. This is not Soviet Union or Chicago, sometimes your side loses.

You personally invested yourselves in a person and an event over which you have absolutely no control and acted like you just saw your own family vaporized in car bomb. Ashley, Jorge, Shani, Ana, Van, Reza, Rebecca, you people are all mentally deranged.

I enjoy your pain

*UPDATE. We just looked up a photo and never mind. Yikes. 

2 comments: